Saturday, April 18, 2009

sunday christian

Seems like everything is flying by, and I hardly know how things went by so fast.

I think I have been so concerned with growing up lately that I've forgotten that I still exist right here, right now. I've been so concerned with the future that I have forgotten how very real God is in this very second. I've been so concerned with making new relationships that I've forgotten the most important one.

That probably explains why I've been grumpy lately. Tends to happen when I ignore God.

I'm starting to learn what it means to not just be a Sunday Christian. At Spring Arbor, it was like Sunday every day... I was surrounded by Christians; pretty much everybody made good decisions (for the most part), I was free to explore my faith as the major characteristic of my life, mostly because everyone else was doing the same thing.

When I first got here, to Chicago, I had to rely on God a lot because He was all I had. Now that I am more accustomed to things (and now that I am freaking out about the future), I am less concerned with exploring my faith and growing with God. Sunday is once a week, for an hour or two on one particular day. Not good.

It's sometimes hard to recall that God made a sacrifice so that we could live like life is amazing and a miracle every day. Like forgiveness is real. Like love is true and perfect. It's especially hard to recall this if I am being a Sunday Christian.

I guess I just need to put more effort into it. Relationships are hard work, right? I am realizing this with my relationship with God more than with anyone else. Totally draining, in a good way.

3 comments:

  1. I understand this one far too well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's nice to know that we're not alone in this, you know :)

    I think we've been blessed to go through this now, while we are still technically in college. We still have that bit of a support system. I feel bad for current students who will have to figure this out when they graduate and feel even more alone - you know?!

    i miss you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, 10 months have past since this post... but the struggle is still there. And even more so in the real world, I suppose. How has it been going for you?

    ReplyDelete