Monday, February 9, 2009

week three begins...

Bits of knowledge to pass on about the Windy City:

1. Mostly English speaking people ride the El. Mostly non-English speaking people ride the bus.
2. Politics here are split: you either love your alderman or you hate him (Chicago is split up into "wards"... aldermans are their representatives). Slightly more people tend to love their alderman, it seems, because I don't remember the last alderman I heard about who had been in office for less than twenty years.
3. Being aware of your surroundings is key. Otherwise, you go south three blocks when you were supposed to go north, and you end up walking nine blocks instead of three.
4. No, your waiter is not always sober.
5. Yes, your bus driver is yelling out the stops because the thing that tells you the stops is broken.
6. Yes, this is a problem if you are deaf.
7. If you see shoes tied together and thrown over a telephone line, run the other direction... you are in gang territory.
8. There are tunnels under Lakeshore Drive that will take you to the beach. They are creepy.
9. Navy Pier is beautiful at sunset.
10. Visit the Crystal Gardens at Navy Pier and watch the crazy water fountains... they're fun.

Things have been good... it's been a full week since I've posted, so sorry about the wait (all two adoring fans that read this, haha). I have been adventuring a lot, and by adventuring, I mean working at my internship and commuting ridiculus amounts. Taking 18 credits was probably a poor life choice, but I'm sure that I'll learn plenty from it (like don't overbook, and don't give the elderly your cell phone number). Overall, I'm having a great time.

And no, I have not been mugged/beaten/raped/swindled/paid to make this statement.

Missing you from Chicago - Love, Katie

2 comments:

  1. As one of your adoring fans,
    I vote that you update more often since we all know that updating your blog is way more important than any of the 18 credits that you are taking; with the excpetion of the 10 you have for your internship :)

    Miss you & smacking your butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brucki, you are ridiculus. In a good way. Miss you too, but maybe not the bruises on my butt.

    ReplyDelete